i want this mantis..Idolomantis diabolica?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
i saw it on his web site..heres pic and heres link..any idears of name?i want a pair.. :)

THIS ISNT MY PIC! Idolomantis diabolica? IS SO WHERE DO I BUY THESE?>

5112094-md.jpg

5112097-md.jpg

Giant devils orchid mantis, also know as a pain in the ###### to mantid keepers,

Real hard to keep supoosidly, wherever you get them from get a lot ###### they can have moulting problems and have numerous cases of unknown insta-death, they are real dear as well, at least £30 for an adult female

As Morpheus says, this isn't a beginners mantis.. so my advice is to wait till spring again befor you try this one out. And try out other and easier species during the winter..

The picture you posted is by the way Igor Siwanowicz's

This is the species I was hoping to breed two yrs ago but decided to wait till it became more common. Unfortunately, it was hardly spread out. No doubt the availability has improved since then but still very limited. There must be a reason why after so many years, it is still not common, so i don't recommend anyone without experience rearing insects/herps, also not suitable for anyone couldn't provide heat, space, and proper food to the mantis.

What exactly do they need to eat?

BTW - Is it really so important to keep them in a cage surrounded with a net?

No idea why my edited post turned into another post, TOUCHWOOD mines done find without any additional heating and lighting, btw Kruszakus they strickt eat flies

No idea why my edited post turned into another post, TOUCHWOOD mines done find without any additional heating and lighting, btw Kruszakus they strickt eat flies
my rooms 80 day 70 night -80 night..humiderty is 60% aways min! i feed them flys ahnd crickts which i have a big serply..i dont think i can do any thing eloes to make the mantis be better,,i think i could look after one..but i doubt there in the uk,.

i only feed them with blue bottle and moths of galleria mellonera (honey worm) mine dont eat crickets or crokoaches...

i think that its the best.

Regards!

so they only eat flys?why?do u know what..in uk theres no where that sells big flys only frite ones..

What exactly do they need to eat?BTW - Is it really so important to keep them in a cage surrounded with a net?
Mine been doing fine feeding mainly on blue bottles, moths, butterfly, and bees(limited). I don't use cricket at all.

Net cage provide 100% moulting surface, but found out that about 50% of the time idolomantis preferred moulting on branches. So provide plenty of branches in the cage. Idolomantis don't hang on too well on plastic or glass surface, they have bulky/huge body but very fragile looking legs/grips that don't seem to support their body weight very well, i even suspected they don't hang on too well on fake branches made of plastic (which is smooth and appear "slippery"), so i use real oak branches. idolomantis with missing leg(s) might have lower chance of surviving next moult unless a proper footing is provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yen :

The reason for this Yen, is that they don't have the "suction cups" under their feet as most other mantids have (none of the Empusidae has these ? )

Junkie :

Yes, this is something that is known as a fact. As the Idolomantis jaws isn't made for eating hardshelled insects as cockroaches and crickets.

And its NO PROBLEM to get flies for them.. just go to you're local tackleshop and buy maggots, or even better, ask them if the got casters to give away, and hatch them to flies. As simple as that.

And again, do not try the Idolomantis before you're more experienced. Use the winter to try out the easier species..

Yen :The reason for this Yen, is that they don't have the "suction cups" under their feet as most other mantids have (none of the Empusidae has these ? )

Junkie :

Yes, this is something that is known as a fact. As the Idolomantis jaws isn't made for eating hardshelled insects as cockroaches and crickets.

And its NO PROBLEM to get flies for them.. just go to you're local tackleshop and buy maggots, or even better, ask them if the got casters to give away, and hatch them to flies. As simple as that.

And again, do not try the Idolomantis before you're more experienced. Use the winter to try out the easier species..
yer im going to wait till summer..i have a few to be breeding for now.

Yen :The reason for this Yen, is that they don't have the "suction cups" under their feet as most other mantids have (none of the Empusidae has these ? )

Junkie :

The ends of their legs look just like any other mantis. They must be heavier. Their mouthparts also look the same as all other mantids. They probably just prefer flies.

As Morpheus says, this isn't a beginners mantis.. so my advice is to wait till spring again befor you try this one out. And try out other and easier species during the winter..The picture you posted is by the way Igor Siwanowicz's
yes thats him..what a photographer he is..really good at it he is..i guees hes shooting at about 2:1 at full zoom...super sharp pics and amazing composition.i love how he has his indoor studio set up..makes for some great pics...his gallery is 2nd to none.

Hi

Well, In germany there are about 4 or 5 breeders maximum. Luckily these guyes know what they are doing.

I have pretty lot experience in breeding Empusidae like Gongylus or Idolomorpha (Yes, no Empusidae can climb on glass, but not every mantid looking like a Empusidae is one. For example Zoolea or the different kinds os Vates, Pseudo- and Phyllovates or Sibylla are no Empusidae. Some of them can climb glass).

I spend about 300,-Euro in Idolomantis (about 15 animals approx. L5) and I was not lucky with them. They made my hair become gray! I got two pairs adult at the same time. The males even tried to mate but they just did not do it correct!

Now there are two tribes in captivity. Whan I was keepin Idolomantis, I was even keeping the one tribe which is more easy to keep than the other!!! And I failed.I cannot tell from where they are because there are eough people destroying the african nature. But two tribes are in captivity for some generations while all other imports failed!!! Do not export wildcaughts, you are waisting money. By them from the breeders, and maybe with big experience and luck you are not waisting money.

You need exactly 30C°daytime and 20°Cnighttime. You must use only butterflies, moth and flies. You must alsways feed the food with honey or catch the food in the wild. Most "fly-nets" as you use them for windows to keep out the flies are good for them. But not for instar7 and older instars. You must offer thin twigs to them. You can keep them together very easy because they are not agressive, but because of their size you need boxes about 60x60x60cm for about two adults.

Yes, the most easy way ist getting casters from fisherman-bait-shops and feed the flies with honey.

There is a magazin in Germany with two articles with ALL information on Idolomantis. Christian and the other breeders wrote it. But, I'm sorry, the text is written in german language.

Best regards, tier

PS: Here are 84 nice pics of them:

http://ttwebbase.dyndns.org/mantid/view/78.html

Latest posts