Hi from So. Calif.!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidFan

Reaction score
My name is Galen and I stumbled upon this forum as I was frantically trying to find out what to do with 100 + babies! I bought an egg case from Home Depot and, lo and behold, this year it hatched last week!. Maybe because I kept it inside? Anyway, I've always loved mantids and am happy to have the hatchlings, but what to do with them?! There were so many I put many out in the yard, placing them on various trees and shrubs. Now I have around 30 in a critter keeper and, from what I could find on-line (and talking with a friend who has kept them as pets) I've been feeding them with tiny baby crickets and just bought some wingless fruit flies. Also been misting with water. I think some have died -- maybe not feeding enough?
Anyway, a little help would be appreciated. I hope to keep at least one or two as pets and let the others go when they are bigger. Thanks!

welcome, these die off quickly, i haven't found out why in all these years. Just had Carolinas hatch and no matter what i did they all died. I can't help but think the lack of wind is why.

Thank you for your reply. I do hope I can keep some alive. They do grab what I introduce into the habitat and seem to eat. I'll just keep trying and hope that the ones I put outside have managed to avoid birds and lizards so they may thrive in the garden.